5 Things to Look For When Hiring a Copywriter
The heart and soul of marketing is the sales copy.
Writing compelling, congruent, persuasive sales copy is a skill, hard-earned over time.
“Great copywriting gets readers focused on the message, and then
deftly carries them along on an emotional journey – cleverly disguised
as the presentation of facts – until it delivers them at the choice point (to buy, or not to buy), ready to make a commitment.”
When it comes to great copywriting, it is better to hire a professional copywriter – unless you think you have the time, energy, and flair to give it a try yourself.
The question is, who do you hire and how do you know it will be a good fit and you’ll get your money’s worth?
So let’s cut to the chase.
Here are 5 top things you should look for – and some of this might surprise you.
- First of all, a great copywriter needs to have stellar SALES writing skills. They need to know how to write with a marketing twist. This is different than writing books, or articles, or white papers. Sales copywriting, sometimes called direct response copywriting, is a very specific specialty. You need to determine if the copywriter you’re considering has a marketing and sales orientation.
- A great copywriter needs to have excellent RESEARCH skills.
- They must be able to write with EMPATHY – to really be able to speak to the emotions of your buyer and demonstrate an understanding of the user experience.
- They need to be able to create something NEW and IMPACTFUL, even if it’s old news.
- Most of all, copywriters tell stories – your story, which requires CREATIVE MINDS and the ability to spin a narrative – even for the most technical business.
Why not schedule a 15-minute CLAIREty CALL with me?
Get a free estimate on your copywriting project.
No obligation, of course.